Call for submissions: First chapters of novels
In honor of NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) Silk Road will begin accepting first chapters of novels for publication in the magazine.
Our editors would like to showcase first chapters that would pique a reader’s interest and get a great story rolling. We also want to encourage writers to keep going and finish that novel!
We will accept first chapters through May 1st, 2012, when our reading period ends.
Please follow the submission guidelines or we can’t consider your manuscript:
1. Submissions can be no longer than 15 pages in length. (Shorter is fine.)
2. No cover sheet.
3. One inch margins on all pages and double-spaced.
4. If your chapter is a prologue, please remember a prologue must for our purposes operate like a first chapter. It can’t be all set up. Something has to happen. (Do not send us a prologue and a chapter.)
5. The chapter need not be as self contained as a short story, but it should not operate solely as an introduction to your book. We need action and character development. We are looking for controlled prose, concrete details of landscape, vivid characters who come off the page and compel us to keep reading
6. Please do not send a previously published novel chapter, including one self published on the web.
7. We are not wild about pure genre fiction, but if you are walking the line between literary and genre fiction, then we are interested.
8. In our submission manager, please select the “first chapter” genre for the category in which you are submitting. The “fiction” category is for short stories only.
Our submission manager is here:
More about Silk Road Review at: